Wednesday, April 7, 2010

07.04.10 Vacation and Un-vacation

Fri: 20 min; Sat: 40 min with Billy in park; Sun: 60 min in park; Mon: 40 min in park; Tues: 25 min; Wed: 25 min

Fri through Mon was a long weekend. We drove to Coff's Harbour for the weekend and stayed in a hostel there. We spent most of our time exploring, but I also got to spend time exploring my yoga practice in a beautiful location. Each day that I was in Coff's Harbour, I practiced in a park right next to the ocean. I could see, hear, smell, feel, and even taste the sea around me. I love practicing outside, and especially next to the ocean. I feel like I'm connected to the earth when all of my senses are experiencing it as I practice. It is so easy to get into a practice and to feel connected with everything around me.

Since I've been back, I've felt overwhelmed, though. I've been trying to get a lot of work done, haven't had time for a long yoga practice, and haven't been able to make it to a yoga class at my favorite studio. I feel like the yoga I've had time for has been stressed as well: I'm trying to cram it in, enjoy it, and find time to reflect back on it as well. Sometimes it is hard to carve out spaces of time for everything I need and want to do in a day.

To counteract my hurried feelings, I tried to pause several times throughout my day for mini-vacations. I took a few opportunities today to reflect, meditate, and breathe. Even though I only did this a few times, I noticed the effects pretty significantly after each attempt. Incorporating yogic philosophy throughout my day (not just during asana practice) seems hard when I think about it as another task. But it turns out it's pretty easy: it takes the "un" out of un-vacation, even if just for a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment