Thursday, February 11, 2010

11.02.10 Shoulder/Mind Opening

Yoga Time: 30 mins

I kinda feel like I have been faking my life over the past few days. I've been trying to accomplish things, get my foot to heal, exercise in some way, and still keep relationships with others and myself alive. But somewhere in the middle of all that, it was too much, and I started faking it. I'm not sure when or how it happened, but I notice myself smiling and nodding way more than I intend to. And not expressing things I really want to.

As I went to my yoga, I began by spending a full five minutes in meditation before jumping into asanas. I've gotten better at spending time at the end of a practice in meditation, but not the beginning. I'm always jumping into the asanas because I'm short on time. Today I wanted to center myself so that I could build the practice on a firm foundation of balance. I enjoyed framing the practice, and I felt peaceful as I started: my breathing was already calm and my mind was open to what the practice would bring.

Before beginning the practice, I was thinking that I wanted to feel more open. So I tried to focus on opening something that I don't usually focus on. I went to my shoulders. I looked up a shoulder and heart opening class that was posted online to get some more ideas on how to open my shoulders. I really enjoyed practicing some of the suggestions I found there, and my shoulders felt more relaxed and released when I was finished.

My experience today was opening more than just bodily, though. The openness I had from the beginning meditation stayed with me throughout the practice. I felt centered throughout the yoga and into the evening following the practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment